I had a mate at school – David, brilliant at Maths and Art, and a genuinely nice guy. Too popular with the girls for my comfort, but I still thought he was cool and admired him. By our last year at school he was into heavy dugs and later died of a heroin overdose. Such a brilliant mind and good person wasted by something we could easily have prevented with pill/drug testing.
He obviously had his demons – we all do. But his life was taken by something we could have prevented with a simple test, to give him literally life-saving information. Instead, we ban and dictate and legislate, which does nothing out in the real world.
Get real and save lives. Otherwise, get out of the way and let us save good people like David.
I will never forget him, and the tragic and preventable loss of a good life so young.
– Names have been changed.